Falls Prevention Program
Family Physiotherapy Centre's Falls Prevention Program addresses the most common fall risk factors within a multi-disciplinary approach whereby each of the risk factors is assessed and form part of our overall Falls Prevention Program. Emphasis is put on both prevention and education which focus on sustainable and measurable Outcome Measures. Our Falls Prevention Program is designed to deliver one on one care and group activities such as exercise programs, walking programs and healing yoga.
The Facts as it relates to demographics.
- Falls occur in >30% of age over 65 years in community
- Serious injury occurs in >20% of falls in older adults
- Most falls occur in and around the patient's home (this includes Long Term Care and Retirement Home residents)
Most Common Risk Factors that influence Falls in Seniors
- Environmental hazards (most common)
- Altered gait or balance
- Lower extremity Muscle Weakness
- Dizziness or Vertigo
- Postural Hypotension
- Decreased visual acuity
- Dementia or Altered Level of Consciousness
- Major Depression
- Medication use (especially more than 4 medications)
The inherent value of a Falls Prevention Program can only be truly measured based on an effective falls reporting formula which speaks to the preliminary assessment of the causes. Baselines are the basis from which the benefits of a Falls Prevention program are monitored. Cause and effect along with proper remedial interventions are key components to making any Falls Prevention program relevant.