Therapy Pool: The Only One of Its Kind in Canada
Our Amazing Pool is the only one of its kind in Canada. It is computer-controlled in which the water temperature is kept at a constant 90F and the air temperature is 86F so you don’t feel cold exercising in the water. Also, there is very little chlorine used therefore being much healthier than a public pool. It has a state-of-the-art stainless-steel floor with see-through fiberglass sides which allow our therapists to correct any errors during treatment. The pool is equipped with a mechanical lift and stairs to facilitate access for patients.
Located at our Kanata location, the Swedish-made hydrotherapy pool is designed for therapeutic use. The pool is kept between 31 and 34 degrees Celsius (87 to 93 degrees Fahrenheit). There are two ways to get in and out of the pool: either by a set of steps with guardrails, or by way of a chair lift. The pool is all one depth at approximately 4 feet. Four water jets can be used to create a whirlpool effect. A therapist will always be working with you while you are in the pool. Depending on your needs, the therapist may be in the pool with you or instructing from the outside. The glass panels on the side of the pool will allow the therapist working with you to clearly see joint motion and give you feedback.
The Arjo Hydrotherapy Pool is constantly filtered and chlorinated. There isn’t a strong smell of chlorine as the chemical is added as the water is filtered. Its highly specialized filtration system ensures that chlorine concentration is maintained at a standard level while at the same time significantly reducing its negative effects (i.e. smell, dry skin). The pool has been inspected and meets the standards set by the Health Department. Our change rooms are wheelchair accessible with a locked area for personal items and valuables. Hydrotherapy participants must shower using warm water and soap and thoroughly rinse off before entering the pool.
Benefits of Hydrotherapy &
Hydrotherapy or pool therapy offers numerous benefits, including:
- Promote relaxation & pain relief
- Improve/maintain strength
- Improve/maintain joint range of motion
- Improve body/postural awareness & balance
- Decrease muscle spasm
- Decrease swelling
- Improve coordination
- Improve circulation
- Improve/maintain mobility
Our hydrotherapy program is designed to maximize your physical condition and support your treatment goals. Hydrotherapy is a unique treatment because it incorporates the natural benefits of water in a controlled therapeutic environment. Benefits include: muscle relaxation, improved joint motion, reduced weight bearing, increased circulation, and better coordination and balance.
Hydrotherapy also offers patients:
- Promote relaxation & pain relief
- Comfortable and supportive pre-surgical preparation
- Rehabilitation after surgery, such as total hip replacement
- Treatment for chronic pain, fibromyalgia, and neurological conditions
What Can You Expect
What precautions do I need to take when participating in hydrotherapy?
- You must always be accompanied by a therapist while in the pool area.
- Before entering the pool, report to your therapist any change in medications or physical status (dizziness, shortness of breath, incontinence, palpitations, etc).
- Once in the pool, report immediately any changes in your physical or mental status (dizziness, palpitations, fear, increase of pain, shortness of breath, etc).
- Avoid a heavy meal before entering the pool, but also do not attempt pool exercises on an empty stomach.
- Ensure a good fluid intake (equivalent of one glass of water) prior to entering and following your visit to the pool to prevent dehydration due to exercise in warm temperatures.
- Cool down after vigorous activity before using the pool.
- Enter and exit slowly.
- Keep breakable objects away from all pool related areas.
What do I need to bring with me to participate in hydrotherapy?
- Swimsuit or swim trunks
- Hair tie or bathing cap if you have hair longer than shoulder length 8 Strongly recommend non-slip aquatic slippers
- Your towel